Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Islam in Africa and the Lays Incestiture Controversy

Islam spreads rapidly on the northern coast of Africa by caravan trade, with the converts being nobility rather than the peasants. Only in some cases had widespread conversion. The issue is that in the lower classes in Sub-Saharan and Central Africa, the women enjoy their high status and aren’t willing to give it up.

However, the nobility is a more patriarchal society already and more ready to accept the religion. Islam was a way for them to connect themselves to the rest of the world and hold power. You see, unlike in Europe where the Pope and Emperor squabble over power so much that a name with capitol letters is given to this issue (Lays Investiture Controversy), religion and political power in Africa is merged so there were no arguments.

If anyone needs a review, “Lays” means “not part of the church”. It only happens in Europe, like every kingdom of it.

You say, “I’m the king and I should get the right to name this bishop of the church in my country!”

Pope: No, no, no! The bishop works for me. Just because he’s in your country doesn’t mean you get a say. I will name the bishop -

You: No! This is my land, if you want your church here, you play by my rules!

Pope: No! You ain’t part of the church/clergy! What the @#$ do you know about church? I’m gonna name my bishop

That’s the gist. There was one situation involving Emperor Henry II names one of his bishops Thomas Beckett and Beckett turns on him and goes, “Since I’m a religious leader now, I work for the Pope, you ain't pushing me around, HA!”

The comment outraged Henry and 4 of his knights went (not on the king's orders) murders Beckette as he's praying on the altar. That's low man, LOW.

No comments: